COMMERCIAL SOLAR PROJECT MANAGER
Solar Energy Services, Inc., (SES) is a leading solar design and installation contractor located in Millersville, Maryland. We install solar electric (PV), solar water heating, and energy storage systems for residential, commercial, and institutional customers. Most of our projects are located in Maryland and Washington, DC.
Our company values honesty and integrity above all. We respect and seek out diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We honor mutual trust and long-term commitments to family, customers, and the company. We promote a respectful and safe work environment. We value learning, knowledge-sharing, personal development, and the social contributions of our work. We empower our employees to make informed business decisions and we provide advancement opportunities to team members based upon merit. In the conduct of our business, we value safety, planning, measurement, teamwork, communication, accountability, results, and profitability. We strive to continuously improve through customer feedback, experience, training, and process measurement.
The Commercial Project Manager manages all aspects of Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) of 20kW – 750kW solar PV projects, including safety, schedule, quality, and client interactions. The Commercial Project Manager is responsible for successfully executing the day-to-day affairs of commercial projects in terms of construction, documentation, and close-out. They work closely with the Operations team to follow project timelines while coordinating and integrating the activities associated with projects’ requirements. These include engineering, procurement, pre-construction planning, subcontractor coordination, and DC and AC installations. They ensure proper safety measures are met, quality standards are upheld, and projects are closed-out expeditiously. This position reports to Director of Operations. The Commercial Solar Project Manager will be accountable for the direct supervision of the commercial installation teams and the quality of their performance. Additional accountabilities include but are not limited to, safety, training and employee development. Commercial Crew Leaders will report directly to the CPM.
- Oversee installation of commercial projects from initial planning to close-out
- Communicate and coordinate professionally with commercial customers
- Coordinate and manage subcontractor work as required
- Perform regular job site and safety audits
- Balance priorities while managing multiple projects at once
- Manage direct reports on the project, including field personnel, demonstrating a model of honesty, responsibility, respect, and diligence that reflects SES values
- Facilitate field personnel issues, escalating when necessary
- Provide crew leader support for daily jobsite issues
- Meet project milestone requirements in collaboration with Operations team
- Support project close out including commissioning, monitoring, as-builts, and final customer orientation
- Drive a culture of safety on all assigned projects and enforce safety policies and protocols among direct reports
- Assist in high-level field technical support as required
- Assist in the development and execution of periodic training sessions for commercial installers
- Assist in installer hiring process, including conducting interviews and skill assessments
- Assist in new installer onboarding, including detailed explanations of operations department policies and expectations
- Provide input during project development and engineering phases as needed
- Anticipate and avert potential jobsite issues and risks, working closely with crew leaders and Logistics Manager
- Maintain open communication with Operations team regarding project statuses, construction scheduling, jobsite issues and needs
- Coordinate resource usage with Program Manager and Residential Project Manager
- Work with Program Manager to ensure that budget and schedule forecasts are accurate and timely
- Provide support for continuous process improvements
- Other duties as assigned
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong leadership, teaching, and rapport-building skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Expert level knowledge in some aspect of commercial construction. Solar is a plus.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask under pressure
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Ability to lift 60 lbs.
- NABCEP PVIP increases compensation
- PMP increases compensation
- OSHA 30 or better preferred
- 7 years’ experience in management position
- 2 years’ experience in construction or solar
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with experience $58-70K/year plus quarterly bonus potential
- Company matching Simple IRA
- Company contribution to group health care plan
- Eighty hours PTO per year, earned on accrual basis.
- Workspace at SES HQ
- Company Laptop
- Company credit card
- Access to company vehicles
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.